Friday, September 22, 2017

Juvet to Alesund, Oslo, then Reykjavik - Day 5

When I was a little kid, I learned that Reykjavik was the northern most capital in the world and I spent time learning out to spell it. I'm proud to still be able to spell it today (thanks to spell check).

----------

Finally, I had a good night's sleep! I woke up twice, very briefly. Once at 1:30am, worrying that I missed my alarm, and once at 3ish when I got up on my own, knowing that we had to be in the car, on the road by 4am to make our 7am flight out of Alesund. 


The kind folks at Juvet left us sandwiches in the fridge for our long day. We also had oranges and the best apple juice of our lives!

I'm going to keep a lot of this short, so I can TRY to catch up to today (technically I've been in Reykjavik for two days already).

  • Drove for 2 hours in the pitch black
  • AMAZING STARS in the sky
  • Saw wildlife for the first time in Norway: Deer, fox and a kitty cat
  • Saw the gnarliest roadkill of my life. It probably used to be a deer. 
  • Alesund airport automation (checked in myself, my bags, on boarding for the plane)
  • Layover in Oslo, blogged one post
  • Krista bought Duty Free and a pastry: vanilla bun (sugary and delicious)
  • Slept on the flight from Oslo to Reykjavik
After arrival in Reykjavik (no customs, no stamp), we were met at the arrivals area by our car rental company. They drove us to their location (warehouse, parking lot, dodgy AF). We signed stuff and got a USED car. The car is dented, "broken" and chipped to hell. All of which I'm great with, because I've heard the road in Iceland can be rocky and rough. My favorite part of this car were the zip ties holding on ALL of the hubcaps. 


We drove to Reykjavik, got settled in our airbnb and it was only 1pm!

From 3:30am-1pm seemed like such a long time, but we still had a whole day ahead available to us. We walked to a local burger joint, walked to downtown Reykjavik, shopped at cute touristy places, sat in pews at a church and then head back to the airbnb for wi-fi. We located a nearby grocery store, grabbed some provisions and head back to the airbnb (again), where I promptly fell asleep around 6:30pm. I have vague recollections of Krista calling her dad to wish him a happy birthday (Happy Birthday, Alan!) and then I woke up at 7:30am! Guess I was done with that day.


Fueling up


Run away from aircraft!
13 Yule Lads of Iceland


 
There are NO polar bears in Iceland
Nice church



No comments:

Post a Comment