Friday, September 22, 2017

Olav's Trail, Nap and Dinner - Day 3

It's been three days since day three and I'm starting to forget things. Last night I slept about 14 hours, so I think I might have enough energy to help catch up. (I read this out loud to Krista and she heartily laughed. "I'm LOOKING at you." She said. I am exhausted. Every day is busier than the last and I looooooove it, but yeah, no amount of sleep can help me catch up.)

Let me expand on Olav's trail a little (though I won't add more pictures as I posted them in the last entry). 

I will start by saying, in Norway, there are VERY few signs warning you not to do a thing. When we stepped off the plane in Alesund, there were no cones or signs on the tarmac pointing the way. No employee making sure you go where you're supposed to. Norway's culture is a culture of trust. Trust that you're going to be a grown up about life. Get off the plane, GO INTO THE AIRPORT. 

Everything is automated too. At the Oslo airport, we checked ourselves in, we scanned our bag tag and dropped them off, we went through security (the only place where we had contact with a human (who confiscated our jam) - they were not screaming to take off your shoes or not bring liquids through...you're supposed to be a GROWN UP and handle it - we scanned our boarding passes and went through the gate to board the plane...no one takes your ticket and scans it for you because that's a waste of time and money.

Anyway, when we hiked Olav's trail, there were no signs telling you where not to go. There was one sign telling you, "Hey this is Olav's Trail," we can only assume and then there were markers letting you know you were on the right path. At two points, we felt like MAYBE there weren't enough signs, like "Hey, I know we just dumped you on this ROAD in the middle of the hike, you're supposed to cross and go by this person's house to stay on the path," or maybe, "don't go in the raging white water," but then again...grown ups.

It was a lovely trail. There were sheep at the beginning, horses towards the end, rocks and roots to climb over or around. There was mud, but not too much. There were beautiful views all around (see pictures from yesterday's post). I was perky and peppy the whole time. Loved every second of that walk. I especially loved the manmade ladder leaning on a HUGE bolder. I climbed 3/4 up, before I chickened out. But I could see that atop the bolder someone had fashioned a fort with a tarp. I imagine the local teenagers using it to escape their house and get high or snuggle with their date.

After the two hour hike, we napped hard. Later that evening, we had a three course dinner in the main house at Juvet. We met some really nice people, who all seemed successful in their lives. Nick and Lou (probably short of Louise) were from London. Nick worked for a news organization that focused on sports and had a strong ethic not to post gossip, but only to focus on stats and positive stories. Lou had been a travel editor. Barry, who sat next to Krista, was a travel writer and author in his own right. He was an Aussie from a suburb of Sydney, so we had a few things to talk about (Sydney and writing). There was a young man a ways down the table to was talking about touring. He was a DJ/Musician, who had written three songs on Lady Gaga's album (not sure which album). We looked him up and one of his songs had 68 million listens on Spotify. Madeon. Pretty interesting group of people.

The food was delicious. 

  • Cod fish marinated in sugar, salt and a little gin (which is why I loved it and Krista didn't), basil cream and a pickled red onion
  • Small cup of potato puree, chili and dill oil - you were to sip it from the cup like soup. It had a HECK of a kick, but was delicious!
  • Tenderloin of reindeer, onion and carrot puree in ginger and orange juice, celery root, coriander, turnips, all with a blue berry sauce
  • Dessert was a lemon creme brulee with a biscuit base and blueberry sorbet on the side.
All items were locally sourced. I'd never had reindeer before and, I can honestly say, I think it is my favorite ever meat. It is like beef with a slight gaminess (only slight) but easy to chew and so flavorful!



Potato and chili soup thing. Yum!

Reindeer of deliciousness

They can't all be great pictures (she's still cute though)





No comments:

Post a Comment