Thursday, May 21, 2015

It maks sense, really.

My European adventure is coming to a close. Only 6 more days in Germany and then it's back to the "real world". 

I'm going to give you a glimpse into how (or why) I've been able to do this crazy trip and at the end I'm going to ask something of you. It's completely optional, but it would mean a lot to me.

Back in 2008, I made the decision to move to Australia. I hadn't thought out every detail. I didn't know how I would afford it or what I would do for work when I got there, but the decision was made and I put all my faith into it. And it worked out. Something that I had only dreamt of as a child, moving to another country, was acheivable.

The same principle took place with this trip (and many other things in my life). At some point along the way, I made a decision. I was going to quit my job and travel until I didn't want to anymore. Once the decision was made, there was no un-making it. There was no backing out. 

Again, I didn't know how I would afford it. I didn't know where I would go exactly or what I'd do when I got there, but none of that mattered. And here I am. In two months, I've been to Scotland, France, Spain, Italy, Denmark, Sweden, Ireland and Germany. I've seen and done so much more than I planned, dreamed or thought possible. And I'm stopping, not because I've run out of money, but because I'm tired. I've pushed myself really hard and enjoyed every minute. 

I feel very blessed to have accomplished so many things in my life, but the secret is and has always been belief and sacrifice. I believe without doubt that it will happen and I am willing to give something in return.

To save up for this trip, I stopped living alone and rented a room from a friend. I sold my car and took public transportation. I sold everything I owned. I negotiated over money (which can be uncomfortable, briefly sacrificing comfort). I always kept my focus on the goal without hesitation or doubt. It was the same when I moved to Australia. 

Other decisions in my life came with different sacrifices. When I decided to get a Master's degree, I worked during the day, giving up my evenings to attend class. I gave up money for tuition and books. I gave up my weekends to study and do homework. But every sacrifice paid off. 

The other thing is, there are innumerable ways to get the same result. I could have applied for scholarships or grants and quit my job, taken day courses and still had my evenings. I could have put all my belongings in storage and traveled for half as long. I could've volunteered to work on someone's farm in Europe and had free room and board and traveled twice as long (it's called woofing. look it up if you're interested).

For me, the recipe is a simple one. Decide. Believe. Sacrifice. Achieve. It is with that recipe that this trip was possible and now that the trip is wrapping up, I'm looking forward to the next great achievement...whatever it may be.


Thank you for letting me write something other than another "what I did today" blog post. Tomorrow, I'll get back to recapping my time here in Germany. 

Now, I mentioned that I'd be asking something of you. All I ask is this. If you can, send me an email. Say anything you'd like. I'd love to hear from you. My email address is: sportik@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment